Sunday, February 1, 2015

Police shell-shock as 'ghost' transfers N1m via e-banking to female GTB worker


Detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad(SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State, were shocked to their bones marrows after they discovered that a murdered businessman, whose killers they were trying to catch, has transferred N1million out of his account via e-banking to a lady named Victoria Abigail, working with Guaranty Trust Bank PLC,(GTB).
The deceased, Mr. Chinedu Mba, 35, a businessman with chains of stores, was attacked and killed by unknown men in one of his shops at Jos, Plateau State, in October, 2014.
After Mba was killed, his killers had made away with some of his documents, handsets and other valuables.
The police were called in to investigate the murder, but the case soon ran cold, with no evidence pointing to anybody.
The family of the deceased was already getting over the death of their son, when they got a shocker.
A police source said: “ When the father of the deceased, Mr. Marcellus Mba, went to the bank to withdraw money, he discovered that his late son had used his missing phone to transfer over N1m to another account. He alerted the police and we reopened the case.”
Narrating how the deceased father discovered money missing from Mba’s account, the police said: “The father was at Union bank plc.,  to withdraw some money in his  deceased son’s account and discovered that  N1m out of  N2m had been withdrawn. He accused the bank officials of stealing the money from his son’s account, the bank denied it.”
The police and bank started investigation. Union bank started what it described as in-house investigation. While the police kept surveillance on the bank, the bank placed a red alert on the deceased’s account.
They were still trying to unravel how possible it was for a ghost to use his personal phone and transfer N1m, when one Mr. Joseph Akpan went to the bank’s branch in Ilorin, Kwara State, to make another transfer.
The bank officials deliberately delayed him, while they alerted the police. The officials also discovered that while Akpan was claiming to be the deceased, the picture of the deceased in the computer, did not match that of the 65-year-old Akpan.
Akpan wanted to transfer the money from the account to one Victoria Abigail’s account, a staff of  Guaranty Trust Bank plc(GTB). This was the same account the first money was transferred into.
“ Before we arrested Akpan, he filled a Union bank transfer form. In the form, he claimed to be the late businessman. He also filled Mba’s phone number as his own. He said he filled the phone number in case the bank wanted to reach him if there was any question over the transfer. Since he filled the deceased’s phone number, it means he is in possession of the phone and likely killed the man,” said the police.
When police searched Akpan, they found  N20,000 on him.
Stating his own side of the story, Akpan said that he used to work with Pointer Security located at 12, Macdonald road, Ikoyi, a private security firm. The firm did not pay for four years. He left there to work as a guard at Tin Can  Island Port, but for one year, the company did not pay him.
Akpan said: “All those years, my son shouldered the financial responsibility, until he said he was tired and suggested I relocated to  Asutan Local Government Area in Akwa Ibom State, my home town. In my town, I started selling fairly used clothes and shoes. I used to travel to Benin Republic to buy these items.
“ One day I wanted to travel to Cotonou. I would leave Akwa Ibom to Lagos, then from Lagos I find my way to Cotonou. I had N50,000 with me. I travelled in the Akwa Ibom State Transport Company and stopped over at Ojuelegba, Lagos. It was there I ran into my old friend Benson, whom I knew when I was a contract security man at Tin Can Island. He told me about this business and I shelved my trip to Cotonou.”
Akpan said that Benson was not too forthcoming on the nature of the business, adding that he followed Benson to Ilorin without thinking twice. According to him, from what Benson told him, he knew it was a business that would fetch good money.
When they reached Ilorin, they lodged at  Isaac George  hotel  on January 6, 2015.
He said: “In the night,  three men came. Benson took them away, to discuss with them. I did not know what they discussed.  On our way to the bank the following day, Benson first stopped over at MTN Office,  while I waited for him  in the car. He didn’t take long before he came back. He had a new handset  and  a new MTN SIM card, which he  inserted into a new phone. He gave the phone to me.
“Benson gave me a Union bank form to  fill for the  transferred fund. He said that I should assist him to submit the form in Union  bank. I left Benson in the car, with my N30,000. My money was inside my wallet. I had N20,000 with me.
“When police arrested me in the bank, I told them that the person who brought me there was parked outside, waiting for me. When  they went to look for Benson outside, he  had zoomed off! He also ran away with my N30,000.”
Akpan said he was shocked and sad to hear that Mba whom Benson told him to impersonate, had been murdered.
Police told Akpan that he would be allowed to go, if he could lead them to Benson, but he cried: “ I have told you the truth! I didn’t know the account belonged to somebody who was murdered! I don’t know how the police can locate Benson. I don’t even know his home. I only know that he speaks Edo, Yoruba and  good English. We are about the same age.”
A policeman said: “Akpan and Benson must be responsible for the murder  of Chinedu Mba  since  his father confirmed that his son’s   phone was missing and his number was used in transferring the first money.”  
Police said they are also going after the said Victoria Abigail, working with GTB.

No comments: