Friday, February 27, 2015

Police arrest son of CSP for kidnapping

Detectives attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), Ikeja, Lagos State Police Command have arrested the son of a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) for kidnapping two Managing Directors of fuel filling stations.
 
Investigators quizzing Mr. Nriezedi Afam said that they were shocked at his unrepentant nature, considering that he is the son of a CSP and allegedly goes back to commit another crime whenever he was released.
The suspect said: “Yes, my father would not be happy with me today if he was alive to see me in police custody. He was a good policeman. He repeatedly warned me never to covet what doesn’t belong to me. I wished I had listened to him! Yes, I’ve been arrested twice and charged to court.
The cases we struck out when the people pressing charges stopped coming to court. I’ll never go back to crime again if I’m pardoned this time.” Afam told journalists that he was arrested for carrying out a daring operation that led to the kidnapping of two Managing Directors of two fuel filling stations. The Police said the stations are Dapsom Petrol and Kings Petroleum.
The 41-year-old, who has been singing like a bird since his arrest, said his duty in the kidnap gang was to locate prospective victims. He said: “I’m like the information officer. I was the person who brought information about the kidnap of the Director of Dapsom Petroleum at Ejigbo, Lagos. I took the gang in our operational Sienna car and pointed out both Directors of Dapsom Petroleum and Kings Petroleum.”
Police said: “In their first operation, the gang succeeded in collecting a ransom of N4 million from Dapsom Petroleum. In their second operation, the gang demanded for N20 million for the release of Mr. Fashola who is the Director of Kings Petroleum. Operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), stormed the kidnappers’ den, located at 18 Adeniyi Ishola Street, off Bola road, Isheri- Osun, on December 17, 2014 and arrested them.” The Officer in Charge of SARS (OC), a Superintendent of Police (SP), Mr. Abba Kyari, led a team of policemen to the kidnappers’ den and rescued Fashola. Fashola was found chained in the toilet. He was kidnapped on November 13, 2014 and rescued on November 17, 2014.
Apparently trying to ameliorate his crimes, Afam said: “The kidnapping of one of the Directors was my first time in kidnapping. The gang gave me only N7, 000 for the operation. In the first successful operation, I drove the gang with my car, through Governor’s Road, Ikotun. It was there the gang members called the family of the victim for negotiation.” He claimed that he was initiated in a beer parlour by one IK who gave him N20, 000 as a gift. IK later took him to meet other members of the gang. After a week of dining and winning with the gang, they asked if he knew any rich man. Afam recalled: “I told them I knew two people that were petroleum dealers. I knew them because I usually bought fuel from their stations and they have offices at their filling stations.
Police later arrested me at the Agric area of Ikorodu because I gave information to kidnappers.” 
Narrating how he engineered Fashola’s kidnap, Afam said: “Kings was kidnapped on his way home to the estate where he lives. I didn’t go with the gang. It was in the morning when police came to remove Kings’ white Range Rover that I knew he had been kidnapped. I knew it was the gang that did the job. I called I.K to tell him I was aware the gang had kidnapped Kings, but his number did not go. I didn’t know where I.K and the rest were. I was later arrested. ” 
Afam confessed that he squandered most of the money made from his crimes on women and drinks.

No comments: