Wednesday, March 30, 2016

‘I became fraudster to make N10, 000 daily’



A suspected fraudster, Ojo Dauda, has told operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) of the State Police Command that he became a fraudster after he was defrauded and the conman told him to join the syndicate.


The suspect, Dauda, 30, and his partner in crime, Segun Olatoye 36, were arrested along Lekki - Ajah Expressway, on March 26, 2016. They were arrested after a victim, Abayomi Ayoola, 28, reported to the RRS.

Dauda, who allegedly confessed to the crime, revealed how he became a member of the syndicate.

His words: “In November 2015, on my way home from work around Ikorodu area, a guy, later identified as Olaiya, stopped me. He asked for direction; after giving him the description of the area, he cajoled me to walk some miles with him. I can’t say what happened, but I couldn’t find any money again.”

According to Dauda, immediately he realized his money was gone, he rushed back to where he met Olaiya.

“He told me that he couldn’t refund my money; that the money had been shared. He now gave me an option to join their syndicate. He said I would realise N10, 000:00 per day. I joined in order to support myself financially,” said Dauda.

He added:" I have made a lot of money, but I can’t say exactly how much I’ve made. I don’t keep my money in the bank. I make and spend money on frivolous things.”

Recalling how he was duped by Dauda and others, Abayomi said: “On March 26, 2016, my madam sent me to the bank to deposit certain amount of money. While coming from the bank, one of the suspects accosted and asked me if I knew a man called Baba Ijebu. I said no. Suddenly, another guy met us at the same spot. In fact, I didn’t know how they took me to Alpha Beach, where my Automated Teller Machine (ATM) card was collected. They used credit card to withdraw N15, 000:00 from my accounts. They took a sum of N30, 000:00, which I had on me, a Q10 Blackberry and a Nokia phone.”

Abayo said that since the incident, he had been looking for the syndicate at the spot. When he sighted them on March 27, he alerted RRS.

Dauda revealed said: “My base is in Jakande in Lekki-Ajah Expressway while members also positioned themselves around the axis. Every night, we all converge at Olaiya’s house, who is our leader, around Jakande, where we share anything we realised for the day.”

Olatoye said: “I was once a dry cleaner but left the job. I joined the syndicate about two months ago. To be truthful, I have duped three people and made N200, 000:00.”

No comments: