Thursday, March 31, 2016

‘I was asked to marry or be a Boko Haram suicide bomber’

http://newtelegraphonline.com/asked-marry-boko-haram-suicide-bomber/


On February 9, two Nigerian girls entered an Internally Displayed Persons (IDPs) camp in Dikwa, Borno State where they detonated their explosive vests, killing 58 people in the process.

However, a third girl refused to take part in the suicide mission for the Islamist militant group, Boko Haram, she later recounted her story as captured by an online news portal, British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
The girl, Hauwa (not her real name), doesn’t know her age, but she looks 17 or 18. She had been held by the sect alongside the two other girls for more than a year when her captors finally suggested the plan to attack the Dikwa camp.
In return for carrying out their mission, the three girls were told they would go to “paradise”. But Hauwa said she knew she would defy them.“I said ‘No’, since my mum is residing in Dikwa, I won’t go and kill people there.
I would rather go and stay with my family, even if I die there,” she told BBC through a translator. Both her parents and siblings, except for one brother who had been captured with her, were staying in the camp at Dikwa, along with about 50,000 others forced from their homes. Recounting how she ended up being lured into joining the group, Hauwa said: “I had spiritual problems and so the Boko Haram told me they could help get rid of them.”

No comments: