Monday, May 23, 2016

How I stole N2.5m phones, by herdsman

A Fulani herdsman, Musa Abdullah, has told officials of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) in Lagos that he used his ‘stick’ to break into a shop where he stole phones valued at over N2.5 million.
Abdullah, 30, from Kano State, confessed to have sold the phones for a paltry N150,000.
The suspect, who said that he had four wives and five children, added: “I broke the shop’s locks with my ‘sanda’ (stick). I use the stick to control my cows. I saw the shop while I was taking a cow to Ojodu Berger. I broke into the shop around 1:30am. I took all the phones.
I left the phones’ packs with their accessories so that I can carry the phones. I sold all the phones at Railway Line Market, Agege for N150,000.” Abdullah was arrested on Friday at Abattoir, Agege, along with a phone dealer, Yusuf Ibrahim.
They were arrested for stealing 65 phones. The phones belonged to Nelson Mendie, 27, a phone seller at Ogba, Ikeja. On April 24, Nelson lodged a complaint at Ogba Police Station that his shop was burgled and his 65 phones stolen. He said: “Someone told me that RRS is very good at tracking lost phones and cars. I reported the case to RRS on Thursday last week.
I gave them some of the phone packs. On Friday, they invited me to their office to come and see the suspects. I was very shocked that a Fulani man I had never seen before broke into my shop. I saw 15 of my stolen phones. I’m very surprised. But as it is now, I want my money back because those who bought the phones had been using them.”
The receiver of the stolen phones, Ibrahim, said that he bought 15 phones with no accessories from Abdullah for N150,000. He said: “The phones are very expensive phones. Some of the phones cost nothing less than N75,000 each. I sold the phones to 15 people because I sell second hand goods.
I regretted buying the phones from him.” Among the 15 phones recovered were two Samsung Galaxy Cone (G355 H), two Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Microsoft Lumia 430, Tecno Phantom A3, Infinix Joypad 8, two Infinix Note 2, three Infinix Hot, Infinix Hot Note and Nokia 225, two G Five Z. One of the stolen phone users, who bought two Samsung Galaxy Tabs and two, Samsung Galaxy Cone, both at N35,000, claimed that he was told the phones were London used.
He insisted that he never knew that they were stolen phones. The man added that he noticed the phones were new ones. He said that Ibrahim assured him that they were not stolen phones, and that he would take responsibility if there was any problem.
He said he even wanted to buy for his wife, but for lack of funds. He added: “I even thought they were fake China phones. It was when I started using the phone that I discovered it was genuine. A lot of people who saw it in my hands couldn’t even believe I got it at that price.”
Confirming the arrest, the acting state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Damasus Ozoani, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, said the police were on their guards and poised to rid the state of criminals.
http://newtelegraphonline.com/stole-n2-5m-phones-herdsman/

No comments: