Wednesday, November 26, 2014

CANCER IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE, I SURVIVED IT- PROFESSOR WOLE SOYINKA





How I survived cancer, by Soyinka
 
Hard to believe, but true nonetheless, that  our own Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has been battling death in form of prostate cancer for a while.


He finally  survived it.  Many are not so lucky. The wise guy calls for the establishment of cancer research and diagnostic centres across the country to contain the spread of the disease.
I definitely I agree. I know what he’s talking about. I’ve been there too.
He spilled out his guts at the June 12 Cultural Centre, Abeokuta in collaboration with the Ogun State Ministry of Health.
He discovered he was cancerous in November 2013, but was now cured last month.
He said:  “A few years ago, I was invited to become a board member of African Cancer Centre and even delivered the inaugural lecture called ‘Cancers, lifestyles.’
“It never occurred to me to test myself because men have their separate test like women. It never occurred to me to test myself. “Like many of you know, I am a very private person. I believe there are certain territories of individual that should be private to themselves and to their families, may be sometimes and it is only when it is public interest that you probe into people’s health.
“For me, this is not a decision which I like but I felt I have an obligation being a member of African Cancer Centre and also having even donated a performance during the festival to fundraising for cancer, I am under obligation to make it known and to also demystify cancer. “Many people feel it is a death sentence; they begin to look at you as if you are a ghost once there’s rumour you have cancer. No, cancer is not a death sentence; it is curable. I have undergone the treatment and I am able to tell you that I even have a medal, that’s my certificate.”

No comments: