Thursday, November 27, 2014

2015 ELECTIONS:SMELLING A RAT AS POLICE RECOVER 21 GUNS IN FULFILLMENT OF ITS PROMISE TO MOP UP ILLEGAL ARMS


21 guns, ammunition recovered in KwaraThe Kwara State Police Command said it has recovered 21 different guns in fulfillment of its promise to mop-up  illegal arms in circulation as the 2015 elections approach. I smell a rat ojare! Somethings are too good to be true.

The State’s Commissioner of Police, Salihu Garba made this announcement yesterday. The police boss spoke through his Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ajayi Okasanmi.
Just last week, I did piece where I stated my belief that no Nigerian will ever come forward to submit his/her illegal arms. Take that to the banks! I know my people.
The police chain of command, last month, egged on by the Inspector-General-of- Police, Suleiman Abba started the campaign. They even gave days of ultimatum for people in possession of such illegal arms to bring them to different police commands or face the consequences of their disobedience.
When I read the different days ultimatum, from different state commands’ I just dey laugh, like our own former President Olusegun Obasanjo is wont to say.
When I read further, I realised the guns were recovered in different areas of Kwara State, not that the owners submitted them in obedience to police directives.
I can also bet you that some of those guns now with Kwara Command, had been in exhibit keeper store for ages. Yeah, for real!
But if police don’t show off these guns now, as a signal that the mop-up of illegal arms has started, how will you know they’re working? A man got to do, what a man got to do!
The truth however is that desperation situations, require desperate measures. Abba and his men should stop arm-chair policing and approach community leaders and members if they hope to achieve this lofty idea of mopping up of illegal arms in circulation.

No comments: