Monday, March 16, 2015

Foolish robbery suspects arrested as he visits crime scene

One of  the robbery suspects who attacked a truck driver and his conductor, relieving them of their goods and valuables at the Okokomaiko area of Lagos State has been arrested after he dared to visit the scene of the crime just hours after the incident.

The suspect, Aliu Abubakar 22, was recognised by the conductor and driver of the truck who were still at the scene.
Aside from Abubakar, other members of the gang are Anas Mohammed 20, and Ali Adamu 30. They were arrested by a team of detectives from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), led by Officer in Charge of SARS, Abba Kyari.
The other two suspects were arrested after police got Abubakar. Other members of the gang are believed to have gone into hiding.
The Lagos State Police Command Public Relations Officer, Mr. Ken Nwosu, who confirmed the arrest, said that the suspected were arrested for armed robbery. He added that one locally made pistol, two live cartridges and three machetes were recovered from the suspects.
A police source said: “The suspects robbed at the Cassidy Bus-Stop, Okokomaiko area. They were armed with dangerous weapons. They attacked the driver of a truck while he was discharging goods at the early hours of the morning. They accosted him with arms while he was offloading oranges, robbed him and his conductor of phones and N27, 000 was collected. They were about five in number."

Abubakar, an aluminium scrap scavenger, said: “Police arrested me because five of us robbed a driver and conductor at Cassidy Bus Stop. We went with only one gun and two cutlasses. We’ve carried out this type of operation over 10 times. Other members of our gang are Sobusere Boutique, Mohammed, Tunde and my Self. Sobusere is the one who used to carry our gun. But I used to carry cutlass. We also used to rob people of phones.  I usually sell my stolen
phones to Ali Adamu. I have sold phones to him up to five times.  At times, I sell phone for N2, 000.”

Mohammed, 20, a butcher at Ojo Military
Cantonment, said he had gone on robbery operation with the gang only once and doesn’t see why Abubakar mentioned his name
Apparently angry, Mohammed snarled: “For the robbery attack on the driver and conductor, I did not participate! Yes, the two robberies I participated were also at the same Cassidy Bus-Stop area, but I didn’t take part in robbing that truck driver and his conductor. It was the devil who made me to leave butcher work for armed robbery.  It was Sobusere who introduced me to armed robbery.”
Adamu, also a butcher at Ojo Military Cantonment said: “I’m not a robber, but a receiver of stolen goods.  They used to bring handsets to me to buy and I resell to some people in the market. I deal mostly with Abubakar. The handsets he sells to us are robbed handsets. I buy Nokia for N2, 000, Techno N1, 500. I sold the phones to people that are travelling to Adamawa.”

No comments: