Monday, March 16, 2015

Yes, I’ve supplied more than 100 AK47 rifles to militants, says gunrunner



A 50-year-old cross border arms dealer and his gang members have been arrested for smuggling guns into the country for supply to militant groups.


The suspect, Andrew Moukwue, said that he used to supply AK47 rifles to militants groups in different parts of the country. According to him, he used to smuggle the guns from Mali. He also confessed to have smuggled more than 100 guns into Nigeria.

One of those arrested for the gun running racket, is a 400 level undergraduate of Economics, University of Port Harcourt. 

Moukwue said: “Yes, I bought those guns from one Alhaji Amau in Ibadan.  I’ve sold more than a 100. I buy one for N350, 000 and sell for N400, 000. People came from Anambra, Bayelsa, Rivers, Abia, Enugu and Lagos states to buy rifles from me. I have a store at Onitsha Market where I used to keep the guns. I use the money I realise to train my children. I did not know the business was illegal until I was arrested."

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Kayode Aderanti, presenting the suspects to journalists at Police Headquarters, Ikeja, said that Moukwue, who is leader of the gang, was arrested at Onitsha, Anambra State, on information from an informant. He was later used as bait to catch other members of the gang.

Aderanti said: “After we arrested Moukwue, he led detectives from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) back to Onitsha, where one Edwin was arrested and three AK47 rifles, with S/Nos AB256591, VL420219 and Ax6217 recovered.”

Following information from the suspects, SARS team stormed River State, where Onyeale and Reginald were arrested. Four English pistols, two berretta pistols, with S/Nos 148847 and 682304 and two brownie pistols, with S/No 42649 and 1137366, were all recovered from them.

Aderanti added: “Detectives have embarked on combing Bayelsa, Enugu and Abia states, in order to fish out the remaining gang members who went underground. We’ll get them.”

Stating his own side of the story, Edwin said: “I was selling beverages before somebody introduced me to this business last year. I used to sell each of the 14 guns I bought from Moukwue for N430, 000. Nomads and businessmen buy from me.”

The undergraduate, Reginald, denied being a gun runner. He said: “I’m innocent of this crime! I was arrested by SARS men at the home of my mentor. My mentor, Onyeali, used to assist me with money for my education.  I don’t know Onyeali’s full name. Yes, I’ve seen Onyeali with a gun. It was a pump action gun. I also know that Onyeali used to issue gun license to his numerous clients. These clients usually come in large numbers. The truth however is that I’m not aware that Onyeali is a robber.”

Asked how he came to know Onyeali who is presently in the United States, Reginald said that he met and became friendly with Onyeali after they met in a cyber-cafe somewhere in Romuolo area of Port-Harcourt.
Reginald said he assisted Onyeali to type some documents. The documents had to do with Onyeali’s Master’s degree theses at the University of Port-Harcourt.

He further revealed: “We later discovered that we stay in the same neighbourhood. We started visiting each other. It was during one of my visits to Onyeali’s residence that he told me of his connection with some government officials. Onyeali said that these officials used to assist him in procuring license for his numerous clients.”

No comments: