Friday, November 14, 2014

Fake LASTMA officials dupe retiree N35,000


Fake LASTMA officials dupe retiree N35,000
Two men have been arrested for impersonating officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) to defraud motorists. 
The two suspects, Funsho Williams and Adekogbe Olabode, were arrested on Wednesday in Lagos for forcibly collecting N35,000 from a motorist under a false pretence.
They duped a 62-year-old retiree of the Federal Aviation Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr Felix Adesanya, by spurious allegation of flouting traffic laws. Adesanya, who sustained injuries during his encounter with the suspects, was rushed to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH). The victim, who said he was discharged from LASUTH in September, disclosed that he was given an appointment for November 12.
According to him, while he was driving to the hospital in his Toyota Camry with registration number KRD 653 BX, he was flagged down by two men in mufti but wearing reflective jackets on their clothes at Akilo area of Ogba. He said: “I halted with the thought that the two men were in need of assistance to move farther. But I was surprised the duo accused me of disobeying traffic personnel and all explanations to prove that I did not commit any traffic offence fell on deaf ears as they were bent in arresting me.
“The duo insisted that I committed a traffic offence and forcibly entered my car and introduced themselves as LASTMA officials and flashed an ID card with the inscription of Lagos Traffic Task Force. They later demanded for my wallet, ransacked it and took N30,000 with a threat to take me to their office if I failed to cooperate and summed up the money to N60,000.
 http://newtelegraphonline.com/fake-lastma-officials-dupe-retiree-n35000/

No comments: