Friday, July 15, 2016

I’m a prostitute, I don’t lure schoolgirls, says nurse

A 32-year-old nurse, who identified herself as Chinozo Okoronkwo, is now in police custody in Lagos for allegedly luring some secondary schoolgirls into prostitution. But the woman denied the allegation.

 Rather, Okoronkwo said she was a prostitute herself.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, paraded the woman yesterday along with others arrested for various crimes at the state Command Headquarters, Ikeja.
Owoseni said the woman, who claimed to be a nurse, was fond of luring teenage secondary schoolgirls into prostitution. He said: “When the information about the activities of the teenage girls who are into prostitution got to our notice, our crack detectives were drafted to the hotel at Ikate in Surulere where the culprit was arrested.
“The mode of operation of the suspect was to go to secondary schools and lured the girls to the hotel and asked them to remove their school uniform when they got there and change into other clothes.
“The suspect and the management of the hotel, who are working together, always allow the girls to go home after school hours, for their parents not to suspect them. The victims were said to be given N1,000 every day as their service fee.” But Okoronkwo told journalists she never lured the girls into prostitution in the hotel.
She said: “I don’t know anything about the girls, but I used to go the hotel to sell fairly used clothes. But sometimes I ‘do runs’ in the hotel to augment my business. I used to go to hotels in Port Harcourt to sell used clothes to prostitutes before my friend brought me to Lagos five months ago. “I was once a nursing student in Ebonyi State.
It was after the death of my husband that I dropped out of the school. I came to Lagos after a man who promised to marry me defrauded me of my life savings. I came to Lagos to ‘hustle’. I stay with my friends who are into ‘runs’ in the hotel.
“I did not have the intention of going into prostitution. It was because of the frustration I went through after I was duped and the need to care for my children that I joined the girls in the hotel for runs.” Okoronkwo said she was in her room on the fateful day the police arrested her.
She added: “They called my name and when I heard my name I came out to check who was calling me only to be arrested. They said that three young girls had mentioned my name to the person who brought them to the hotel. I cannot do such things because I have grown up girls like that.
“They took me to Bode Thomas Police Station. During interrogation, I told the policemen that I don’t know the girls. I used the proceeds from the ‘runs’ to buy used clothes and resell to the girls in the hotel. That was how I have been managing myself. I don’t know how my mother, who is suffering from stroke, will feel seeing me in this condition.” Owoseni, however, said the suspect would be arraigned after investigation was concluded on the case.
He also promised that the police would scrutinise the hotel to ascertain its role in the case.https://newtelegraphonline.com/im-prostitute-dont-lure-schoolgirls-says-nurse/

No comments: