Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My arrest is divine intervention –Suspected trafficker




My arrest is divine intervention –Suspected trafficker
A 31-year-old suspected trafficker, Egbueme Benedict McCarthy, has attributed his arrest by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) to divine intervention. 
McCarthy said he was given drugs to traffic to Hong Kong by a friend, unaware that detention in that country is death sentence. 

He, however, got to know about the penalty after he was arrested by NDLEA operatives who educated him on his aborted perilous journey. McCarthy was among 14 suspects nabbed at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport.
The value of the 33.655kg narcotic drugs recovered from them is put at N300 million. Another suspect, Okafor Chijioke Franklin, 25, was caught with 13.735kg cocaine in tin food. Okeke Uchenna Aloy Pascal, 29, was caught with 3.425kg cocaine absorbed in towels. Akpobome Godwin Ujunwa, 32, was found with 1.730kg of cocaine absorbed in T-shirt.
Ani Monday, 37, was found with 300 grams of cocaine. Madububa Amaechi Joseph, 38, ingested 845 grams of cocaine. Amuka Sunday, 26, also ingested 1.505kg of cocaine and Ijoganu Edache, 25, ingested 1.240kg of cocaine.
Obiefuna Tochukwu Kenneth, 40, who was found with 500 grams of cocaine, Ogbodu Williams, 48, was caught with 1.650kg of cocaine, while Nwakama Walter Chinonso, 32, was caught with 1.060kg of cocaine. McCarthy was found with 1.190kg of cocaine, Nwanchukwu Chimeremeze Leonard, 38, was found with 975 grams of heroin/cocaine, Adebayo Wasiu Abiodun, 30, was caught with 5kg of cannabis while Oforegbu Godwin Ujunwa caught with 505 grams of cocaine.
Investigation showed that most of the suspects engaged in drug trafficking to get money for the end of year celebration. McCarthy, who was going to Hong Kong where drug trafficking attracts capital punishment, said his arrest was a divine intervention to save his life. He said: “I used to sell used amplifiers in Abuja. I ingested 55 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.190kg.
It was my classmate in secondary school who now lives in Tanzania that sent the drugs to me and assisted me with my travel documents and expenses. “I had no idea of the punishment for drug traffickers in Hong Kong until my arrest. God has rescued me from death and I will never smuggle drugs again in my life.”

No comments: