Monday, July 13, 2015

‘God led us in our bank robbery operations’

Bright
Twenty-year-old Bright Agbojule used to deal in timber until the lure of bank robbery attracted him. He confesses to being one of the boat riders that took the gang to Lekki, Ajah, where they attacked First bank and Wema bank. In this chat with JULIANA FRANCIS, he reveals how prayers offered to Almighty God aided in the success of the operations.
Are you the man that went on three bank robbery operations with the gang?
No! I went only once with them. It’s M.O. that went on three robbery operations.
What was your role in the robbery?
I handled pump action rifle
How were you recruited?
My friend connected me. I reside in Lagos, at Osolo Way.
For how long have you been robbing?
This is my first and last time!
What is your work?
I’m into timber business
Why did you leave timber business for robbery?
It was my friend Kelvin that called me. Yes, Kelvin went on the operation with us. He called me that there’s a job. He said I should come. That was how I joined in the bank robbery.
How did you people carry out the operation?
We were 18 in number that went for that operation. We used to meet at waterway in Abule Ikorodu. It was only one day that the Ijaw men came to meet us. It was Million that brought the Ijaw men from Warri.
Who is Million?
Million is our leader. He is in charge of the operation. He and Kakadu are the leaders.
Where do they live in Lagos?
They are based in Warri.
Are you saying that Million and Kakadu brought men all the way from Warri to rob in Lagos?
Yes!
Where did you people meet to fine tune the operation?
It was at Abule-Owutu.
You said it was your first robbery, but you carried pump action gun?
Yes! Million trained and taught me how to use the pump action gun in a day.
What was your role in the operation?
I carried pump action and manned the road. My duty was to watch the roads. I stood guard outside the bank.
Who used to pick banks that would be attacked?
It’s usually Million and Kakadu. They have information on these banks.
Do they have a bank official working with them?
It seems to me they plan everything at Warri before they come to Lagos. I don’t know if they have insiders in the banks that work with them. These questions can only be answered by Million. He’s the one in charge.
How did you people carry out the operation on that day?
We went with three jeeps. Million brought the jeeps from Warri. We took the jeeps to the operation. We were 18 that went for the operation on that day. Some of us went in the three jeeps; others came through water to join us. After the robbery, we escaped through the waterways.
Why does the gang always set their vehicles on fire after operation?
I don’t understand it myself. It’s only Million that can explain it. He’s the one that used to set the vehicles on fire.
How much did the gang cart away from the bank?
I don’t know! I’m just the boat rider! It’s only Million and Kakadu that know the amount. When they wanted to share money, they sent boat riders like us away. They would call us after splitting the money, to give us our own share. Whatever they give us, we collect. You can’t ask question. I’ve never robbed before in my life except that day!
How much was your share?
They gave me only N2 million
Why did you call N2 million only? Have you ever had N2 million before the bank robberies?
Not really! I used my share to buy a car.
Did you ever think that police will catch you?
I didn’t
Is there an herbalist preparing charms for the gang? Or a pastor that used to pray for the gang?
I go to church! I’m a Christian!
Does the gang pray before embarking on operation?
Yes! Million led us in prayers.
What are the prayer points?
It’s Million and Kakadu that led the prayers when we were going for the operation.
What do you people used to say to the prayers?
We used to answer amen!
What did he say during the prayer?
He prayed that God should help us to go in peace and come back in peace. We all answered amen!
Did you people go in peace and come back in peace?
Yes! It means God answered our prayer.
Do you think Million will regroup and come to rob again with another members?
He’s the boss. He’s in charge. My advice to people is that they shouldn’t go into robbery. As I’m here now, I don’t like it. I’m educated. My dream was to become a policeman. Whenever police form comes out, I used to buy and write the test. I also tried to join army. But everything I tried was just not possible. That was how I joined timber work and later this case.
Where and how did you get the guns?
All the guns were brought to Lagos by Million and Kakadu.

No comments: