Monday, July 13, 2015

‘We’re not the real Ikorodu bank robbers’

Omoboye
Mr. Omolaje Monday Omoboye is a 39-year-old father of five kids. He was a fisher man who later took to oil bunkering.  Determined to stop working as fuel thief for others, he decided to join robbery. He said the idea was to raise money and buy enough kegs. In this interview, he said regretfully: “We’re not the real robbers! Police have not yet arrested the bank robbers!”  Excerpt;
 Why did the police arrest you?
I used to fish before things turned bad. There were no fishes again to catch and my boat was stolen. I used to stay at home. Sometimes I go and dredged sand. One day, my friend, Monday Akpan called me. He said there fuel bunkering was going on at Abule-Isha. He said I should come. I said okay. I joined him. Sometimes I buy 10 or 15 kegs of fuel. It was back market.
What happened next?
Whenever we buy and sell, we return money to those we bought from. One day, Akpan said we should look for money to buy kegs and start our own bunkering business.  I used all the money I had saved to pay for my house rent.
Tell me about the robbery!
One day, a friend of mine, Emma said we should go and enter a boat.
Enter boat to where and for what?
We went to where we used to do oil bunkering. It was there I met some men. They were many.
Were they in army uniform?
No! There were also young boys assisting them to work. The young boys were assisting to load fuel. Million and his men were also into oil bunkering. They asked me some questions and discovered that I’m an Ilaje man. They asked me where I live, I told them. Before I left that day, they gave me two kegs of fuel. They said I should go and sell it. They said I should use the money to buy kegs for myself.
I want to know your part in the robbery.
One day, they called me that I should come. I quickly ran to meet them.
Who called you?
It was my friend Akpan. I followed him to the creek. I saw many people. They were having a meeting. They collected my phone from me.
Was it at night?
No! It was around 2pm. I asked my friend if he knew the man that collected my phone, he said the man’s name was Kakadu.
What were they discussing in the meeting?
I don’t know. They were speaking in Ijaw language. Later Million came to meet me. He said he was the person that instructed Kakadu to collect my phone
What’s Million’s real name?
I don’t know. But everyone calls him Million. I asked him why he ordered my phone to be collected, he said nothing. He said I should wait. Kakadu came to meet me. He said we would be going somewhere. I asked where, he said I shouldn’t worry. He said they would be going to Maroko. I asked why. He said there was no problem, that he would explain everything to me. Later they brought food and we ate. Around 3:30pm, we all filed and entered a boat. I was the boat rider.
Which robbery was that?
It was the Lekki robbery. The instruments that would be used for the robbery were packed into the boat. Later they changed into army uniforms.
At what point did they put on the army uniforms?
They carried knapsacks. It was after they entered the boat that they opened their bags, brought out the uniforms and changed. They didn’t give me any uniform. When I asked what was going on, they said I should shut up. It was Kakadu that showed me the direction in the waters to take. When we got there, we waited at a corner until 5pm. They left and soon we heard gunshots.
Didn’t you go with them?
No! We were instructed to wait at the jetty with the boat
Did you carry gun?
No!
How many of you waited in the boat?
Kakadu, Akpan and me; No! No! We were four! There was an Ijaw guy with us.
Are you saying you didn’t know it was a robbery?
Honestly, I didn’t know!
When did you realise they were armed robbers?
It was when I saw Million and others loading bags of money into the boat.
Didn’t you hear gunshots before they arrived with the money?
Yes, I heard the gunshots.
Why did they kill the three policemen?
I don’t know! I stayed at the waterside
They must have discussed the operation as you people rode away in the boat.
I was the person handling the boat. The engine noise didn’t allow me to hear anything. Once we got to land, they entered inside the bush to share the money. They wouldn’t allow me and Akpan to follow them. After they finished sharing the money, they came to where they asked to wait and gave us our share.
How much did they give you?
They gave me N400, 000.
What did you use the money to do?
I gave it to a woman to buy kegs for me, so that I could be using them to work. I gave her N370, 000. I’ve not seen the woman or kegs till date!
How were you arrested?
I was at home when someone called me on the phone. I reside at Igbo-Igbo area in Ikorodu.
Who called you?
Ata called me. He said I should come and pick my car. I just bought it.
But you said you carried all your money and gave it to a woman to buy kegs for you. Where did you get money for the car?
No! The money I gave to the woman was from the first one.
First what?
I meant to say that it was from the first operation I went with the gang.
How many operations did you go with them?
I went on the three robberies with them!
You went on three robberies?
Yes! The first robbery was the Lekki one, the second one was the Ijede robbery and the third one was around garage at Ogolonto, Ikorodu.
Why did you lie to me that you stayed at the boat, at the jetty?
I didn’t lie! I stayed at the boat.
If you went on three robberies, it means you’re a member of the gang. Why did they kill the three policemen?
I don’t know! I’m not the boss. It’s Million that used to pick banks that would be attacked. He and his men reside in Warri.
After the Lekki robbery, police arrested some people. Are you aware?
Yes!
Why did you join in the Ijede robbery when you knew that some of the members had been arrested?
I went for the second and third robberies because I wanted to buy kegs for my fuel bunkering business.
You were given N400, 000 in the Lekki robbery; what about the Ijede robbery?
I was given N400, 000 for the Ijede robbery and N2million for the Ikorodu robbery.
What did you do with the money?
I used the N2million to buy a Lexus Jeep.
Does the gang plan the robberies in a bush?
No! We do the planning inside a building. The building is like a camp. That’s where we used to do fuel bunkering.
Is the meeting usually in the night?
Not really! We don’t live around there. But the Ijaw men used to call us whenever they need us. The meeting is usually in Ijaw language. It’s after the meeting that they would call us. We’re not the real robbers! Police have not yet arrested the bank robbers! The top men, big bosses are still in Warri.
Are you saying that police need to travel to Warri to get the real armed robbers?
Yes! I don’t know the part of Warri these robbers can be found.
Why did you partake in all the three robberies?
Honestly, I don’t understand what is wrong with me. I won’t lie to you! Once they call me, I’ll dash over there. I don’t know why I kept taking part in these robberies.
You claimed that in the Lekki robbery, you didn’t know they were taking you to a robbery. What about the second and third robberies?
The reason I went for the second robbery was because the woman I gave money to buy some kegs for me, disappeared with my money. I used the money from the second robbery to buy the kegs. I have however not used the kegs. Yes, I went for the third robbery and made N2million.
Why did you go for the third robbery after you’ve bought the kegs?
I don’t know what happened to me. It’s like those Ijaw men are using juju. Once they call me, I’ll just start running to meet them. I want Nigerians to help me. I don’t want to die. Once I leave here, I promise I’ll never be found in this sort of thing again.

No comments: