Sunday, August 24, 2014

What’s wrong with marrying prostitute?

Wonders will never end!

I just said that to pique your interest.

I’ve gotten to the age where nothing shocks me anymore.

Nay! Definitely not in this 21st century; with kids now described as ‘millennium kids.’

What the heck does that even mean?

You don’t know? It means kids get to do weird stuff and parents will smile like fools and say: “Ha! Kids of these days!”

Then move on to do something they feel is more important, while the kids grow to become a terror to society.

Oops! Sorry for digressing. Yeah, I know. I’m bad.

Anyway, I was discussing with my friend, Williams. The subject matter was marriage.

He said: “I don’t have a steady girlfriend because I prefer prostitutes.

“You’re kidding!,” I said in shock.

“Why? Because I prefer prostitutes or because I told you the truth?”

“I mean, why would you prefer a prostitute, to a nice homely girl?”

“Come off it, how many of these girls are ‘nice, homely’ girls?”

I was nonplussed. I was stunned. It was apparent he was not making idle conversation. He was dead serious. I could see it in the determined set of his face.

“Listen let me tell you,” said Williams. “Many of these girls you people call prostitutes are cleaner than your average, nice, homely girl. In fact, when I marry, I will pick a prostitute!”

You think it’s a bombshell? I thought so too. But by the time I left Williams, I was a believer.

Williams is handsome and intelligent. He could have his picks of any girl he wants. But a prostitute? Wow! That’s something.

So I’m asking you now: What the heck is wrong with marrying a prostitute?

She no be person? No be woman born her?

If gigolos can get married at the end of their tired inglorious careers, why can’t a prostitute do the same?

It’s funny that many people sneer at prostitutes, yet smile at gigolos approvingly like the guy hadn’t been prostituting himself too.

Go figure why they call it a man’s world.

I have another poser for you here:

What if you didn’t know she was a prostitute?

What about if she’s a lady that had jettisoned the job, who you find in church and decide to marry?

The church naturally is the last place of solace for every broken person and heart.

If you’re rejecting her because she told you, what about if she hadn’t?

I’ve always believed that the best path to a successful marriage is for both partners to be upfront with each other.

When you’re transparent with your partner, there’s nothing he or she would hear outside the home front that will shake, shock or agitate him/her.

A woman/man needs to tell his/her partner about the past before walking down the aisle with the person.

Okay, let’s agree she did it for the money, what about those girls, who don’t live in brothels, stay with their parents or guardians and yet keep dozens of lovers?

What about the bank executive who in the quest of meeting target ends up sleeping with all the traders at the market square?

The only difference here is that a prostitute calls the men clients or customers, while the lady who stays with her parents calls them boyfriends!

Personally, that’s the height of hypocrisy; to be dating several men and still think of yourself as a ‘nice, homely girl.’

The prostitute knows what she’s going for and is not pretensions about it. Thus she does anything and everything to make herself clean from sexually transmitted diseases.

A prostitute who knows her trade will never indulge in a skin-to-skin sex with any of her customer.

I know many.

But the nice homely girl possibly sleeps with all her lovers skin-to-skin.

Many of them will tell you that the younger man is the guy they’re going to marry, while the older guys, who flock round her, with pot bellies, greying or dyed hair, are her sugar daddies.

My point is this: if you fall in love with a lady and she tells you that she was once a prostitute, don’t turn Ben Johnson on her.

For her to confess such, takes gut. Give her a chance. She deserves it. Many prostitutes dive into the trade due to trying situations. Who are we to judge them anyway?

I never really cared much for prostitutes, especially when I was an undergraduate, until I became a journalist.

Like a sanctimonious idiot, I had always argued that there was no excuse for anyone to take to prostitution.

I started covering the NAPTIP beat and met all sorts of girls who went into prostitution willingly and unwillingly.

I recalled the story of a girl I interviewed at NAPTIP. After her mother died, her father started raping her repeatedly until she had a baby for him.

Even after the baby, he wouldn’t stop. She didn’t know who to run to, who to tell or where to go.

What did she do next?

She left the child in her father’s home, also her home, and bolted.

Naturally, she was used to being catered for by her dad and now that she was out, she knew life was not a bed of roses.

Determined not to go home, she joined prostitution. Apparently, she preferred other men to have sex with her than her dad. Do you blame her?

While trying to make ends meet, she fell into hands of human traffickers, who took out to one of the West African countries.

She was sold to different women, who handed her to different clients for sex. Ironically, her madam(s), laughed to the banks with all the money she made sleeping with men.

By the time she was rescued, she was half way to madness.

Even as she narrated her story to me, I knew some of her marbles upstairs were missing.

Enough of the tear jerking story….

My point is this: marrying a prostitute can’t be the greatest of all crimes. There are worse crimes.

A woman who turns away from prostitution willingly, had already made up her mind that the life was no longer for her.

Many of them make a good wife. What would she be looking for outside the home front again? She had seen enough sugar sticks, tasted enough to last her a life time.

Look at me for instance…take a good look at me…I’ve never been a prostitute, but I’m tired of sugar stick myself!

Yes O! I don tire abeg! Abi na old age dey worry me?

Look at the bright side: she’ll know how to make you scream and come in bed. She’ll make you speak in tongues.

Hummm! She’ll dance makosa sex steps on you. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Another scenario: if you’re one of those who go to church to pick a wife, do you know that some of the sisters, covering their heads with scarfs for 24/10, going about with faces devoid of makeup are once big time prostitutes?

Some of you guys will argue that a leopard doesn’t change its skin. Some will even say: “Once a prostitute always a prostitute!”

I don’t agree, but you too don’t have to agree with me. I’m just saying it the way I  see it.

Marriage is a lifelong contract, the final call is yours!

ebere20@gmail.com. SMS ONLY: 08155733671.

No comments: