Friday, September 25, 2015

Community in the grip of robbers

Mr. Olumide Frank looked and sounded perturbed. Yes, he has every reason to be worried. In less than four months, robbers have stormed his community hree times. 

He recollected: “I was sleeping when they came into my bedroom. My wife was sleeping beside me. I later found out that they gained entry into my apartment through the sitting room window. They forced the window open.
When I heard the sound of my bedroom door opening, I opened my eyes and saw two men. One was holding a gun and his partner armed with a machete. They went straight to my table and hurriedly started packing my phones.
As I got up to ask, who was that; one of them pointed a guy at me and said, ‘keep quiet or I’ll shoot! Respect yourself.’” 
This was the first robbery in a series of robberies on Frank and his neighbours.
Even as he narrated the robbery of that fateful June 11, 2015, he still sounded shaken. Frank and other residents of Iyanda Falola Street, Agege, Lagos State have stopped sleeping with their two eyes closed. Even when they attempt to sleep, every little noise makes them to jump up in fright.
The residents said that the three times the bandits stormed the area, there was no power supply, adding that the bandits used to enter same compounds by scaling the fence. Continuing with his recollection of the robbery in his home, Frank said that the first thing that flashed through his mind when he saw the two men in his bedroom was that they shouldn’t hurt his wife and kids.
The thought had barely crossed his mind, when his wife suddenly woke up and noticed the strange men. She didn’t need a soothsayer to tell her that her home was being robbed. The machete and gun said it all. She started trembling in fright and muttering prayers. Anytime Frank attempted to look at the men, one of them would flash torchlight into his eyes, blinding him.
Read More http://newtelegraphonline.com/community-in-the-grip-of-robbers/

No comments: