Sunday, November 15, 2015

Desperate thieves on the prowl

Desperate thieves on the prowl
Armed robbers using guns or machetes to forcibly collect money and valuables from unsuspecting Nigerians is no longer a breaking story. It’s however astonishing to realise that these days, robbers and thieves now deploy use of spell (charms) in snatching valuables.

Most Nigerians have had firsthand experiences of what it means to be put under a spell before being robbed. Recently, Mr. Kayode Olatunde, 30, said that some robbers cast a sleeping spell on him and robbed him in his two bedroom apartment located at the Ayobo area of Lagos State. Olatunde, married with three children, said that he was sure a sleeping spell was cast on him.
He just couldn’t comprehend how the heck robbers would invade his home and cart away his property, while he slept through it all. According to him, the robbery must have occurred around 3 am. He explained that he and his wife wouldn’t have known about the break-in if not that their two-month-old baby’s cries woke them.
The wife was the first to wake up. She immediately noticed that the generator was off. Olatunde said: “It took an hour for my wife to be able to wake me. She wanted me to bring torchlight so that she could check our baby who was crying. She repeatedly tried to wake me, but I was dead asleep. It was when she started dragging me on the bed that I woke up. I sluggishly went into the sitting room to bring the torchlight.” Olatunde said that moments after he walked into the sitting room, he fell into the drug-like sleep again.
Tired of waiting for him to bring the torchlight, the wife went to the sitting room to know what was keeping him. He said: “When my wife came to the sitting room, she found the torchlight and switched it on. She found me sleeping and woke me. I told her to bring the torchlight so that I could check my phones which I was charging. I discovered that the phones were not there! It was then I saw footprints from my window direction.
The footprints stained my rug.” He said that when he opened the window blind, he discovered that one of the rods that make up his window burglary proof had been removed. It was at that stage it dawned on him that his home had been burgled. He recounted: “I quickly checked my delivery money and discovered that the N30,000 was gone.’’ Aside from his company’s N30,000, the thieves also absconded with N3,000 he kept on his table. They also took his Bold Five phone, his wife’s Samsung Galaxy and his neighbours’ phones.
Olatunde’s neighbours had earlier brought their phones to his apartment to be charged since he was using generator. He said that the thieves must have peeped through his window, saw him sleeping sprayed the ‘charm’ into his face. Olatunde said: “It must have been when they found us sleeping that they blew the juju substance on me.
The substance made me to fall into a deep sleep.” After carrying out a thorough investigation of his burgled apartment, Olatunde surmised that one of the thieves entered via the window, blew the substance on him and later opened the front door for others to come in. He further noted: “The robbers went upstairs to put off my generator, which I had earlier put on when there was no power supply.
I later found the SIM card to my phone at the back yard on the ground. They entered and left our premises by scaling the fence!” Olatunde continued his narration: “I had earlier wondered why I found it so difficult to wake throughout their operation. I was further convinced that they used charm on me after I explained the robbery to my landlord. He told me that I was not the first person it had happened to in that area.
He said that some people were robbed at the street next to mine and the same juju substance was used on them. They woke up the following day to discover that their home had been burgled and their valuables taken.” Olatunde’s wife, Peace, said that she and her husband didn’t put off their generator because there was no power supply. They wanted the generator to run throughout the night. She said: “I was angry with him because he had told me that the fuel in the generator would sustain us till morning.
It took me an hour to wake him. I begged him to go and bring torchlight for me to know what was wrong with the baby. I practically dragged him out of the bed before he could wake up.” Peace said that when she went to the sitting room, she found her husband sleeping again and thought it was odd. They later discovered the missing items.
She recounted: “My neighbour said she heard footsteps walking in the compound. The person later went upstairs to put off the generator set. She thought it was my husband. When we tried to open our door, we noticed that our front door was locked from outside.
Read More  http://newtelegraphonline.com/desperate-thieves-on-the-prowl/

No comments: