Thursday, April 21, 2016

‘I invested N20m stolen from bank in cocaine’

A graduate of the University of Medina, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Abdulhameed Ibrahim, yesterday said that money he made from stealing in banks was used in buying cocaine. 

The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, said the suspect used to steal from unsuspecting cashiers in banking halls.
But the 27-year-old Ibrahim angrily retorted that he wasn’t a robber. According to him, he only steals from careless banks and cashiers. After his arrest, police recovered money, scissors, Ipad and three different brands of phones from Ibrahim.
The suspect confessed to have made over N20 million stealing in banking halls. But, according to him, he invested the money on cocaine. He said: “I have made over N20 million since I started stealing in banks. I used the money I got from the bank to buy cocaine. I sell the cocaine in Abuja. I made double the price I bought the drug. I started the operation last month when I came to Lagos from Plateau State.
Before I went into the bank, I have a friend called Segun; he used to prepare the ground for me with the assistance of an insider in the bank.” According to Owoseni, in one of his exploits, Ibrahim stole N1.5 million at a new generation bank, located at Ogudu.
The commissioner that the suspect had served various prison terms in Plateau and Kaduna states for similar offence. Owoseni said that Ibrahim was arrested with the assistance of CCTV footage in the bank. He was traced to a hotel where he lodged and arrested. Revealing his modus operandi, Ibrahim said: “I’m not an armed robber.
I went into the bank to deposit money in the bulk room. When I got there, I discovered some amount of money was carelessly placed on the counter. I smartly took it without the female cashier seeing me. She was engrossed in a novel she was reading. I got home and counted the money; it was N1.5 million. “I walked out of the bulk room and nobody stopped me.
The personnel of the internal security of that bank just don’t understand their job. The bank where I stole the money is careless. They display their money without minding who comes into the banking hall. I have studied those at the bank; if I had another opportunity, I would love to go to the same bank branch to steal. They are carelessness.”
The suspect said that after his graduation, he worked with Saudi Embassy, where he started trafficking in drugs. He was found out and deported to Nigeria in 2011. He added: “I love hard drugs. Since I came back to Nigeria, I’ve been into this act of stealing to sustain my drug life. Police in Lagos have stopped my activities.
I was called through the hotel intercom that I have a visitor. When the policeman spoke to me through the intercom, I immediately sensed he was a policeman. I came out and surrendered myself. I knew I had come to the end of the road.”http://newtelegraphonline.com/invested-n20m-stolen-bank-cocaine/

No comments: