Thursday, April 14, 2016

‘We pretend to be patients to rob hospitals’


Detectives attached to the Lagos State Police Command, have smashed a gang that specialized in posing as patients, to get access into hospitals and rob genuine patients and staff.

The suspects, Babatunde Bamidele 25 and Muritala Balogun 27 were arrested at Ajangbadi area of the state on Wednesday, moments after they finished robbing a hospital.
Revealing their modus operandi, Bamidele said: “Before we went out on operation, we would plaster the body of one of our members. When we get to the gate of the prospective hospital, the supposed ‘sick person’ would start crying loudly. Others would start calling for emergency. Immediately we are allowed into the hospital, we would whip out our guns and rob the patients. We would rob them of money and other valuables. We don’t kill people! We only collect money and phones.”
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the suspects used to pretend they were patients in order to get entry into the hospital and robbed genuine patients of their valuables.
Owoseni further explained: “The gang would pretend as if one of them was injured. The supposed ‘injured patient’ would go to the hospital with others, with plaster pasted to his stomach. He would be rushed into the hospital, screaming for help. Immediately they were allowed into the hospital, they would bring out guns and rob every patient of their phones, money and other valuables.”
Bamidele confessed that he was introduced into the robbery gang by one Ahmed, now at large.
The suspect, said: “I used to pick pocket until I met Ahmed. He advised me to abandon the pick pocket job. He said it wasn’t profitable. Before I started going out with them, they trained me for a week.”
Recalling the gang met its waterloo, Bamidele said that on their last fateful operations, they had just finished robbing patients and were racing to leave the scene when they ran smack into a police patrol van.
He recalled: “The policemen were on patrol when they heard shouts of thief coming from the direction of the hospital. They ran after us. Ahmed and others escaped. I and Murtala were arrested.”
He further recounted: “Since I joined the gang, we’ve robbed about five different hospitals at Ajangbadi, Shibiri and other part of the community. I regret my actions. My parents must not hear I was arrested for armed robbery.”
Narrating his own side of the story, Balogun said he was tricked into going with the gang to rob patients.
His words: “I was also into pick pocket until I met Ahmed. I was at home when Ahmed called me. He said I should follow them to visit a friend at the hospital. I obliged. We both went to the hospital. When we got to the hospital, I was surprised to hear Bamidele screaming like he was in pains. Ahmed and others called for emergency. I didn’t follow them into the hospital. I waited outside. After a while, they came out with many phones and some other things. Immediately we left the hospital, policemen who were on patrol accosted us. They arrested me and Bamidele.”
Owoseni said the suspects would soon be charged to court after completion of the investigation.

No comments: