Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Drug trafficking: Saudi Arabia pilgrim bags 10 years imprisonment



A 55-year-old pilgrim to Saudi Arabia, Basirat Iyabo Binuyo, has been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment with hard labour, for smuggling 76 pellets of cocaine weighing 931 grammes to Medina, Saudi Arabia.

Binuyo was sentenced yesterday by Justice B.O. Quadri of the Federal High Court Abuja.
In her statement to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Binuyo admitted to smuggling the drugs for a fee.
Binuyo, a trader in Lagos, married with three children, said: “I wanted to expand my cosmetic business but I had no money. My sponsor offered to foot my expenses to Saudi on pilgrimage. I was excited until I was asked to take drugs along. I wanted to decline but considering the offer of a million naira, I accepted. I swallowed the drugs in Lagos and took flight to Abuja on my way to Medina but I was caught in the process.”
Binuyo tested positive to narcotic ingestion at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport (NAIA), Abuja while on pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia last September. She was immediately placed under observation by officials of the NDLEA where she excreted 76 pellets of substances found to be cocaine.
In his judgment delivered on yesterday, Quadri said that the sentence should serve as a deterrent to others. He said the hard labour was added because the convict failed to reveal the identity of her sponsors.
NDLEA commander at the Abuja airport, Hamisu Lawan said that the convict is from Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State and used to sell at Dosumu Market, Lagos.
Chairman of the Agency, Col. Muhammad Mustapha Abdallah (rtd), while applauding the sentence warned against drug trafficking.
He said: "The war against drug trafficking in Nigeria is on course. Stopping the woman from going to Saudi with the drugs was highly commendable and the punishment is right. No drug traffickers shall go unpunished.”

No comments: