Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Landlord shoots tenant’s legs over N6000



Mr. Uchenna Ukor, 34, whose legs were riddled with bullets by his landlord at the Idimu area of Lagos State, has relocated to his village in search of treatment.

Trouble started between Ukor and his landlord, Chief Chuks Nwagei aka Captain, after Ukor did some bricklayer work for him and went to his home to demand for payment of N6000. The N6000 is said to be accumulated amount of money that Nwagei owed Ukor for jobs he had done.
But rather than pay him, Nwagei allegedly brought out a double barrel gun, and shot Ukor’s two legs. The incident, which occurred at Ifelodun Street, Abule Onilu, Idimu area of the metropolis, left residents gasping in shock.
Ukor was taken to his village in Delta State on Monday morning, in order to get about 10 pellets removed from his legs.
Nwagei, it was gathered, used to engage Ukor in bricklayer works most of the time, promising to pay later.
After the latest bricklayer work, Ukor approached Nwagei around 10am on Thursday, demanding for his N6000 payment. When he got there, Nwagei’s wife told him her husband was not around.  
As Ukor stepped out of the premises, intending to leave, Nwagei suddenly appeared and called him back. Nwagei was alleged to have brought out a double barrel gun and shot Ukor’s two legs.
Ukor was rushed to the Igando General Hospital and Nwagei arrested by policemen from the Idimu Police Station.
Ukor's father, Henry Ukor, said: “The gunshots left several holes in my son's legs. The landlord wanted to shoot his stomach, but God saved my son.  The Captain and my family are from Delta State. My son did some bricklayer work for him, which accumulated to N6, 000. He went to ask for his money. When Captain came out, he said he had warned him not to come to his house again.
“As he wanted to shoot him, my son jumped and the bullets got him in the legs. I was relaxing at home when he managed to walk home. There are about 10 pellet holes in his legs. He has gone to our village for proper treatment.”
Henry further said: “This is a man who used to sit and drink together with him. Even if my son had offended him in anyway, he should have reported him to me for proper action. The Captain was arrested, but later released by the police on grounds of ill health. He was told to report on Friday. I want justice to be done on this matter.”
Ukor, who spoke to our correspondent on the telephone yesterday, said Nwagei owed him the money since November, 2016.
Ukor said: “I only went to collect my money that fateful day and met his second wife. She reminded me that her husband had warned me not to come to their house again. I said she should tell her husband to pay me my money. Immediately I left the gate, I heard his voice. I thought he wanted to attend to me. When I got back to the compound, he was with a gun. I greeted him. He said he had warned me to stay away from his compound. The next thing I heard was gunshot on my legs.”
When Nwagei was contacted on phone, he noted that most of what the information, given to the journalist, were lies. He insisted that the journalist must come to his home, to hear his own side of the story.
He added: “I don’t grant press interviews on phone. Come to my house.”
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Dolapo Badmos, confirmed the incident. She said the gun had been recovered from Nwagei.
She explained: “The victim came to the station and reported that the suspect, whom he works for as an errand boy, owed him some money. He went to demand for the accumulated money in his compound when Nwagei ran inside, came out with a double-barrel gun and shot him on his two legs, causing him grievous bodily harm. He was immediately rushed to the Igando General Hospital.”
She added that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Department (SCIID), Panti Yaba, for further investigation.

No comments: