Monday, February 20, 2017

How we attacked, robbed early morning ATM users, says suspect



A suspected robber has revealed how he and his gang members used to hide around Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) galleries, attacking and robbing people who came to collect money.

The suspect, Gbenga Babatunde, 35, said that he and his partner in crime, Samson Baba Ramadan, who is now at large, has robbed over 35 people at ATM points at Alaba Rago Market, Ojo, Lagos State.
He said: “I have been in the crime since I met my colleague, Samson Baba Ramadan. I met him at Field Joint, Alaba, two years ago and since then we have been working together. We’ve robbed about 35 people together.”
Describing the gang’s modus operandi, he said: “We used to get the targeted ATM point by 4:00 a.m. We would hide inside a shop that is not open beside the ATM point. As soon as someone comes to withdraw money, we would accost him or her and collect the money. The last money we collected was N40, 000. Yesterday, we collected N12, 500."
Babatunde, who was arrested after a failed bid to rob a lady who withdrew an unspecified amount of money around 5:48 a.m. at an ATM point in Alaba Rago Market, was chased by the operatives of Rapid Response Squad (RRS), patrolling the area. When he was arrested, a cut to size locally made gun, with two life cartridges were recovered from him.
Babatunde added: “This morning, we wanted to collect money from a lady, but she ran away. We thought she had gone; unaware she went to inform RRS operatives. This was around 5:00 a.m. They pursued us and arrested me but my partner escaped. I usually don’t go home. I sleep in Osankwa Hotel, Alaba Rago. It’s only whenever I don’t have money that I go home. I have no wife or child.”
The operatives also recovered from him, a First Bank MasterCard belonging to Iweka Christopher Uchenna and a Diamond Bank Debit Card owned by Nkechi Esther Idoko.
A police source said: “Upon his arrival at the RRS's Headquarters in Alausa, Babatunde owned up to the crime. He said that his accomplice, now on the run, introduced the criminal act to him.”

No comments: