Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Policeman shatters man’s leg, abandons him at hospital



A 37-year-old man, Mr. Anayo Gabriel, who was allegedly shot by a policeman attached to Morogbo Police Station, has accused the Nigeria Police Force of shattering his leg and abandoning him at the National Orthopedic Hospital, Igbobi, Lagos State.

The shooting of Gabriel’s leg, which landed him at the orthopedic hospital, occurred on December 24, 2016.
According to him he was in a commercial bus, heading home when some policemen flagged down their bus. The policemen allegedly demanded for money from the bus driver.
When the bus refused to bring out the money on time, one of the policemen threatened to shoot. He had forgotten that his rifle had been earlier corked.
Gabriel said: “Before we knew what was happening, one of the policemen opened fire. The bullet hit the driver slightly on his leg and got me on right leg. The policeman and his colleagues immediately escaped, leaving the driver and I in a pool of blood.
 “Some students of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Ijanikin, Lagos, rushed us to a private clinic in the area. The matter was officially reported at the police station. After first aid, I was taken to a local orthopedic hospital in the area for treatment.”
He said that since the incident, he had spent a lot of money. He said his family was also suffering because he was on sick bed and couldn’t provide for them.
Gabriel further said: “I was abandoned at the hospital. Each time I called the DPO to complain about the manner the police were maltreating me, he would shout at me; he said the police cannot take care of me and my family members’ all together.”
Gabriel urged the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris and the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, to come to my aid.
Gabriel explained that the hospital told he would need to undergo a surgery and returned to the hospital after two months.


He said: “The last time the DPO sent his boys to me was February 15; I still have about two surgeries to carry out. The DPO said the police can only afford one operation. If not because of the gunshot injuries I sustained, there wouldn’t be any reason for me to be in hospital. When the wound was not healing, I was transferred to Igbobi Orthopedic hospital. But before I was moved, I and the Morogbo Divisional Police Officer had an agreement that they would take care of my family members.”    
The confirmed that the police have paid about N 247,000 for his treatment.
Gabriel said: “The Area K Police Command, Commander, sympathised with me, but they are gambling with my health. My nerve is seriously damaged. My children are out of school and I have about N196, 000 to be paid for the next surgery. The police are denying me. To pay for dressing of the wound is also a problem because I have emptied my savings account. The food provided here is not enough for me. They told me that they would either pay for my children school fees or forgo my treatment. They should please come to my rescue; I don’t want to lose my leg.”


No comments: