Saturday, August 8, 2015

‘I broke up with my boyfriend and he sexually assaulted me’

I never wanted to be known as “the rape victim” or the “girl with the sexual abuse story.” No one does. There are no perks that come with that. You don’t get into VIP clubs with that kind of notoriety. You don’t even get the the respect of your peers. That’s part of what is so unfair about sexual violence. You never asked for it, and you definitely never asked for the flack you receive after coming forward with your story.
I was raped and now I also have to deal with people calling my horrible nightmare experience a lie? Cool.
Especially being a comedian. I felt like people would be wondering: Is it safe to make a rape joke around her? Especially if she was abused by a fellow performer. Yikes. What if that guy is funny? Now I have to hate him or something just because he raped a girl? Probably best to ignore the victim’s story and keep laughing, right? I tried to get this story out on local comedy blogs that I admire, but they pulled out after agreeing to publish it. I understand in a way.
They don’t want to be known for publishing a rape story. Even if it is an important issue affecting the community. Things like that only further illustrate how we deal with rape in our culture and in our small communities: We want the victim to just go away. I was silent about this for a long time. I didn’t go to the police or to friends or family or anyone. Why not? Because I feared the conversation would go like this:

Read More  http://newtelegraphonline.com/i-broke-up-with-my-boyfriend-and-he-sexually-assaulted-me/

No comments: