Friday, August 21, 2015

Traders protest incessant levies

The traders insisted that one Odus, should be removed for extortion, illegal levies and illegal seizure of traders’ wares and nonreturning of the seized goods. 

The Executive Secretary, Engr. Famuyiwa David, instructed Mrs. Chidimma Egwu, who led the protest to ensure the protesters were nonviolent. David said: “In order to curb these issues, the council conducted a test run for collection of revenue and three people came for bidding.
Chief Elvis Onuwa bided N1.3million, Odus bided N1.5 and other two persons bided N2million. Since Odus bided N1.5, which is the highest, he was given a section of the market. He was given specific areas to collect levies. He was told no extra charges should be collected.” One of the traders, Gabriel Nwosu said: “I know my peoples’ grievances. I used to pay N15, 000 for my space until Odus came. Odu told me to pay N25, 000, I told him that I couldn’t afford it. He threatened me with police and army.
He got me arrested and detained at Police Command, Zone II, Onikan, after which he chased me out of the market.” Another trader, Yomi Folorunsho, lamented that his goods, worth N80, 000 were seized from him by Odus and his boys. Folorunsho noted: “We usually pay N10, 000 for every six month. Later, Odus increased it to N20,000! While we were complaining about the N20,000 increment, he raised it to N25,000. I refused to pay. He ordered my goods, worth over N80, 000 to be seized.

Read More  http://newtelegraphonline.com/traders-protest-incessant-levies/

No comments: