Sunday, October 18, 2015

‘My girlfriend abandoned me because I went blind’

*Man needs N2m for cornea transplant

When Chijioke Anthony Onyenwe marked his 24th birthday, he was filled with joy and bubbling with health. Indeed, like most young men of his age, he thought the world was his footstool.


He had a sweetheart, whom had agreed to marry him. The lady, Chioma, said that she loved him to distraction. He was happy because he couldn’t imagine life without Chioma.

The rhythm of his life however soon changed after he woke up one day and his right eye felt like it had particles of sand. Before he knew what was happening, he has lost the sight of his two eyes.

He counted on his family, friends and fiancée to be his anchors as the storm raged in his life, leaving him confused and panicking, but it was Chioma who first developed cold feet. The lady jilted him, saying she couldn’t imagine being married to a blind man.

The lovers had dated for six months before the mysterious blindness assailed Onyenwe.  He is 27 now, but still walking alone. He however believed that he would marry someday, to a lady, who truly loves him.

He said: “Chioma was not meant for me. If she was, she would have stayed with me. When Chioma left, I had repeatedly tried to reach out to her; I wanted to find out her whereabouts. I called her line, but she refused to pick her calls. Someone assisted me in sending text messages, but it became clear that she was avoiding me.”

Sick with love for his lady, Onyenwe begged friends and family members to talk to Chioma on his behalf. They all did, but the lady remained adamant.

He had already given up hope when Chioma suddenly called one day, insisting that she needed to see him. Onyenwe was ecstatic. But she didn’t come, rather she called him another day.

He recalled: “When she called me, I was very happy that she has decided to return to me. My heart wasn’t the same without Chioma. I was however shocked and hurt when she called and started shouting at me on the phone. She said I should stop looking for her! She said she couldn’t marry a blind man who would never see her. Since then, we lost contact. I couldn’t eat for days and was quite depressed.”

Recalling the genesis of his life, Onyenwe said that he dropped out of Army Day, Secondary School, Port Harcourt, Rivers, due to financial problem. He would later go into buying and selling of female shoes.


He said angrily: “Even if I see Chioma again, but I pray I never see her, but if I see her again, I’ll never marry her! She’s a lady I loved with all my heart, but she couldn’t stand by me in this trying times. This means she would definitely had left when something worse than this happens. I have made up my mind to marry an orphan from an orphanage home. A lady who is an orphan must have gone through worse things in life like me.”

This is now three years that Onyenwe went blind. Not used to being dependent on anybody, Onyenwe sells kerosene in front of his one-room apartment. He said that he uses his other senses to cook, wash and clean. 
Asked how on earth he could sell kerosene without his sight, he smiled and said: “I know the measurement of the bottles. I know the measurement I can pour when I want to sell. I’m used to my environment. I know where certain things are kept in my room and area.”


The blind guy however has a tall dream. He wants to become one of Nigeria’s music super stars. He also wishes to go back to his trading after he might have raised money and done his eye surgery.

 According to him, he presently and desperately needs N2 million for a cornea transplant. He said that doctors have assured him once he was able to raise the sum and do the surgery, he would regain the use of his right eye. The doctors said that the left eye was damaged beyond correction due to neglect.

Remembering how he went blind, Onyenwe said that his troubles started in 2012.

He explained that he woke up one morning and discovered that he was having intense itch in his right eye.

His words: “My right eye started itching uncontrollably as if someone poured a bowl of sand into it. When I couldn’t take it anymore, l went to a nearby chemist to buy an eye drop and drugs. This seemed to worsen the situation. I don’t even know how the left eye became affected. I went to the hospital. The test carried out showed that the cornea in the right eye had been damaged. Doctors said that the left eye was ‘dried up,’ which means I won’t be able to see with the left eye again.”

He said that when the problem started; he went to a doctor at Port-Harcourt. The doctor referred him to Eye Foundation Centre in Ikeja, Lagos. He went to the Foundation with flaming hope, but his hope was doused after he was told that he would have to pay N2 million before the end of the year so that the surgery for the right eye would be done fast.

Onyenwe said: “I was asked to pay N2million for the surgery. I was given till the end of the year to get the money and come for the operation, but as at now, with the help of various media organisations, I’d been able to raise N900, 000 which is not enough!”

It’s quite saddening that aside from his blindness, there are other issues troubling Onyenwe. He is the first child in a family of eight kids. His father died in 2006. Onyenwe used to be the breadwinner until his blindness. He said that his mother had spent money and worked to the bones to ensure that he regained his sights. But her efforts had been in vain. 

Apparently due to much worry and anxiety, the woman had become sickly.

“We’re financially handicapped right now, which is why I’m using this medium to beg Nigerians to help me. If I can regain the use of my eye, I wouldn’t beg. I would be able to take care of my mother and siblings. My damaged eyes have taken every dime from my mother,” said Onyenwe.

Onyenwe, who also aspired to become a musician before his blindness, said that he abandoned his trading after his eyes became a challenge.

He said: “I just want to do the surgery and go back to my trading business and fulfill my dream of becoming a music super star. This problem is really a headache to my family, especially my mother who is now terribly sick. She used to go about with me to beg in order to raise money for the surgery. But the stress is affecting her now. She has fallen sick. I used to sell ladies shoes and bags, but since this problem started, the business folded up.”


According to him, he had been advised by many people to seek an herbalist to heal his eyes. He refused. He said that he believe in God, stressing that darkness and light cannot agree. He added: “I believe very much in God.”

He further added: “When my friends saw that money for the surgery was not coming, they suggested I visit a native doctor, to see if there was somebody behind my problem. I never went because I believe in the God I’m serving. I shall be able to see again! I know it! I believe it!”

Onyenwe’s friend, Christian Clinton, also a shoe trader in Port-Harcourt, said that it was because of Onyenwe sight’s problem that he had to come to Lagos in order to give Onyenwe the necessary support and assistance. Clinton is now the person that used to act as guide to Onyenwe.

Clinton said: “As at 2013, this problem wasn’t this serious. At least, he could still see properly back then. But after some months, it became serious that people had to start taking him around. I decided to bring him to Lagos in order to assist him because there was no one else. When we got to Lagos, we started raising money by going to politicians, and meeting people for assistance which had been a great challenge for us even some promised us and till now we haven’t seen anything.”
  
Clinton urged Nigerians to assist Onyenwe in raising the remaining part of the money before the end of the year. He also wanted Nigerians to remember Onyenwe in their prayers.

Onyenwe said that well-meaning Nigerians who want to give him money should send it to his account.
Account name: Chijioke Anthony Onyenwe
Diamond Bank: 0051243707.
For Further information people should call his phone number: 08148318987/ 08185695791.
 NEW TELEGRAPH

No comments: