Wednesday, October 28, 2015

‘I wore Army uniform to defend robber in court’

A security guard, John Otu, 23, has been arrested for wearing Army uniform to court in order to be a witness for his friend facing robbery trial. 

The suspect said he decided to wear the Army uniform to court in order to be accorded respect by members of the judiciary. His plan, however, did not sail through as he was arrested before he got to the magistrates’ court at Agege, Lagos.
According to him, his friend, who was a co-security guard at a former place of work, was standing trial for murder and had begged him to come and testify on his behalf. 
He claimed that he bought the uniform at Ojo Military Cantonment and decided to wear it to court, under the firm belief that it would sway the case in their favour.
Otu described himself as an aspiring Army officer. He said he had bought the Army recruitment form and went to the Army cantonment to sign the form when he saw people selling Army uniform. He added: “I bought the Army uniform at Ojo barracks when I went to sign Army recruitment form. I bought it with the hope that I would one day become an Army officer.
I regretted my action. I did not know that wearing the uniform was a serious offence.” Also arrested are Simon Anthony, 27, Izunmane John, 25, and Richard Acha, 22. The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Fatai Owoseni, said people should be wary of the military men they relate with.
Read More  http://newtelegraphonline.com/i-wore-army-uniform-to-defend-robber-in-court/

No comments: