Friday, January 23, 2015

Buhari, Jonathan not Nigeria messiahs

President Goodluck Jonathan 
Goodluck Jonathan said his administration’s achievements are being overshadowed by the activities of Boko Haram insurgents, but is hopeful that terrorism would soon be brought under control.


He said his administration had achieved a lot, but the Boko Haram war  was taking attention away from the achievements.
However, he assured that his administration would soon put an end to the insurgency.

Achievements? You got to be kidding me! I see so many things around me, but not achievements. 

I see kids becoming orphans...wives becoming widows...husbands becoming widowers. 

I see companies going bankrupt and closing shops. I see one million unemployed graduates queuing for a job where the company needs only five people. I see striking health workers, unpaid civil servants, corrupt policemen, soldiers, navy, air force and civil defence staff. 

I see senators and honourable laughing to the banks everyday, while hunger ravages the land. I see many things...but not achievement.

Most of these problems have been lingering for years and yet many presidents have come and gone and the problems persist. General Muhammadu Buhari was once, through a coup,  the president of Nigeria and still our problems persist. Jonathan has been there and still wants to return there, but our problem persists.

I don't know who will be the messiah for Nigeria, but I don't think its either Buhari or Jonathan, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Why must we continue to recycle the same people that have ruled us. We have thousands, if not millions of young, bright and brilliants minds in Nigeria. Yes, bright minds, but poor pockets. But why must Nigerian politics be about someone having money?

The political gimmicks we are seeing today, as campaigns heat up, for me, is just a routine.



No comments: