Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Why can’t a lady walk up to a guy and profess her love? (2)



Our contributor, Adetola
Continued from last week...
Rachel’s love for Deji waxed stronger each day. But she continued to keep her feelings to herself.
She was however unaware that Deji had confided in another colleague that he loved Rachel. He also was too shy and timid to tell her how he felt about her.
The colleague offered to assist him, speak to Rachel, but Deji said no. He said the time was not ripe.

As fate would have it, both of them travelled to the eastern part of the country for a research.
They were together for three months. As each day slide by, they worked side by side, but still continued to shield their feelings for each other.
Then it was time for Deji to go back to America. While leaving, he asked Rachael to see him off to the airport. Rachel was happy, feeling that Deji would say something to her.
They got to the airport and they hugged tightly like they wanted their hearts to communicate the unspoken words.
Rachel was disappointed when Deji whispered: “You’ve been a wonderful lady! I look forward to a lifetime partnership with you.”
He turned away, fighting tears. Rachael said she never knew the meaning of the tears.
Days ran into months and months into years. Deji kept calling, to check up on Rachael.
But he later stopped calling. Rachael continued with her life here in Nigeria and held on to the good times she spent with Deji.
Rachael found another man and got married to him. She told me she never loved her husband, but just opted for him when she couldn’t withstand the pressure from the home front.
And now, exactly two months after her marriage, Deji called to propose to her!
“Deji was the one who called earlier.”
She started crying again.
 I felt wetness on my cheeks. When I touched my cheeks, I discovered I was crying.
 “Why didn’t you profess your love to Deji?” I asked her.
 She replied: “Tee, it is not African.”
 I felt like slapping her.
“How could you allow pride to whisk away your happiness?”
“Tee, I thought it was wrong for me to make the first move.”
When she said this, I shook my head.
I thought of what to tell her but came up empty. After a long pause, I said: “Rachael, accept your fate and learn to love your husband.”
 I tried to chat with up but she wouldn’t just cooperate.
When we got back to the office after our official assignment, Deji was already waiting for Rachael there. He said he came to see things for himself and to put an end to the expensive joke of the year.
But alas! It was no joke. It was for real. When they had the opportunity to talk, Deji told her she was the only lady he had ever been attracted to and she would remain his only love.
After spending some days, Deji eventually went back and I later learnt he cried all through after speaking with Rachael.
I learnt he even tried convincing Rachael to divorce her husband but she refused.
Now, Rachael is an unhappy lady in her marriage because she doesn’t love the man she got married to. Deji is seriously angry because Rachael is the only lady he had been attracted to after suffering from heartbreak during his undergraduate days.
Fate brought them together but like Jimmy Cliff’s song ‘The harder they come,’ both of them allowed the love they had for each other go.
 Now the big question: Is it wrong for a woman to walk up to a man and profess her love for him?
Concluded...
Contributor, Miss. Adetola Ademosun
Do share our stories and blog with your friends. You can also share your relationships stories and tips with our teeming readers.
ebere20@gmail.com

No comments: