Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thief reports partner to police for stealing stolen car


A 25-year-old man, who arranged to steal with his gang member and stole a car from where he works, has been arrested after he reported his partner in crime to the police for running away with one of their stolen cars.


The suspect, Bright Ekeochi was arrested after he angrily stormed a police station to report that his friend, Akobu Aziza, 23, has bolted with one of their stolen cars. He was later used as bait to catch Aziza, Adebayo Peter and Raoul Dedavi.

The plan to steal the car from Ekeochi’s work place was hatched by Aziza. The men agreed to share the money accrued from the deal. A few days after they stole the car, Aziza disappeared into thin air and switched off his phones.

Police said the men stolen a Toyota Vessa car at Ojodu Bergar where it was on display. They were arrested on December 19.  Dedavi was alleged to be the person that used to buy stolen cars from the gang.


According to Ekeochi, said: “I used to be a manager in a car shop. I left the job because the salary was too small. They pay me N17, 000 every month. Part of my job was to wash cars and attend to consumers.”

According to him, his life turned around after he left his car washing job and met a friend called ‘Soldier.’

He started working for Soldier, assisting him in getting buyers for his cars.

“I used to help Soldier to sell cars after I left my car washing business,” said Ekeochi. “The first car I sold for him was N4.3m. Soldier promised to give me a commission of N100, 000, but he reneged on his promise. After that, I brought a buyer for a Luxes RX 30 Jeep, 2005 model. I told him to pay me the last commission, but he said he would pay all the commissions he owned me after the sale of the Jeep.”

Ekeochi said that after the sale of the Jeep, Soldier said he would give him N5000. Ekeochi said his money was supposed to be more than N5000.

The suspect said that while he was still wrestling with Soldier over breach of their agreement, he discovered that Soldier had called some of those who used to pay cars from him, to desist, alleging that Ekeochi’s prices were on the high side.

Feeling betrayed and angry, Ekeochi narrated his ordeal to another of his friend called, Aziza. It was Aziza who gave him the idea that landed them in police net.

Recalling everything, Ekeochi said: “I narrated everything to Aziza. He said we should snatch one of Soldier’s cars, so that he would pay me the money he owes me. I brought many SIM cards purposely for the job. I gave Aziza one SIM card. Our agreement was that after the operation, I would give Aziza N50, 000. Using one of the SIM cards, I called Soldier and pretended I was a buyer, calling from Abuja. I told him that I would be sending my mechanic to check out a car I liked. Aziza went there, posing as a mechanic. He said he wanted to check the car engine through a test drive. Aziza drove the car away.”

Aziza made a beeline for Ekeochi’s home. He parked the car there, but refused to give the key to Ekeochi.

Ekeochi said: “Aziza said he didn’t trust me. He said I should keep an eye on the car and left. On December 19, Aziza drove the car away without informing me. I started called his phone several times, but he refused to pick. I reported the case to Area G Police Command. I told the police that one of my cars was stolen by my friend. I was arrested in that process.”

Aziza, an aspiring musician said: “Ekeochi told me that his boss owes him some money. I advised him to steal one of the man’s cars. He promised he would give me N50, 000 if we succeed. After stealing the car, I carried the car without informing him. I sold it N1.5m.  I gave Ifeanyi who is at large N300, 000 and Peter N5000. I used the remaining money to pay my house and make three songs.”

Peter, 38, a trader said he brought a Dedavi, a buyer for the car. Dedavi accepted buying the car for N1.5m. He later sold it for N2m in Benin Republic.

No comments: