Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I’m guilty, please forgive me, says suspected vandal



One of the four suspected oil vandals arrested by the  Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), yesterday said he was guilty of the crime he was accused of, begging for forgiveness.


The suspect, Isila Bolagi, 47 and his cronies were in possession of 52 gallons of Petroleum Motor Spirit(PMS).

The suspects were intercepted around Eyita Sabo Area of Ikorodu Lagos on January 16, around 10:17pm.

Others in  NSCDC custody are; Sola Ogunlade, 32, Jamiu Shittu and Bello Semiu, 37.

They were said to be in two vehicles; one Toyota Preview space Wagon, marked KRD63BM. The car was allegedly  loaded with 50 full gallons of 50litres of stolen PMS.

A second vehicle, a Nissan Bluebird car, marked AG15FKJ, also loaded with two full 50litres PMS, were intercepted and the gallons discovered at the compartment for extra tyres.


Bolaji, a mechanic and a bus driver said: "I got involved in the business in December 2014. I got involved through my colleagues in transportation business along Ishawo Road, Ikorodu. The transportation business wasn't doing well anymore. I needed money to meet up with family needs. I used to buy 50 litres for N2,500 and sale at the rate of  N3,500 to business owners. I’m guilty, but please forgive me. I won’t commit the crime again. "

Ogunlade, also a driver, father of three said: “I was caught along with my cousin who introduced me to the business. It all started after my bus was impounded Lagos State Transport Management Authourity (LASTMA) officials. I friend of mine took pity on me and gave me another bus.  I used to do daily delivery to him. That bus was also seized by Vehicle Inspection Officers (VIO), and since then, life had kept getting tougher for me. I needed to look for ways to survive.”


Bello, another mechanic said: “I used to help Mr. Shittu fix his car whenever it was faulty, but I had never been involved in stealing of PMS with them. I never knew they were into that sort of thing. On that fateful day, I was called by Mr. Shittu. The time was between 7-8pm. He said his car had developed fault along Ikorodu road. I went over there to repair the car. Before I knew it, I had been arrested.”

Shittu, a taxi driver  said: "I was frustrated when I couldn't meet up with my wife’s hospital bill in July. She went through Caesarian section. I was asked to pay the bills. My business of taxi driving wasn’t enough to put food on the table for me and the family. I had to sort for an alternative means to make more income.” 
 
The Commandant of NSCDC, Mr. Abafi Gabriel said the arrest was to show members of the public who think the NSCDC is not working, that it was.

According to him, some of the suspected had pleaded guilty to the crime. The suspects were asked to mention name of those in business with them, but they kept mute.

Gabriel said: “This is to inform many people who are into such shady business to desist. We’re not to decide what law should be placed on the convicts. Ours is just to arrest and hand them over to the court. All Nigerians should be involved to catch those involved in illegal work. This oil is what our nation depends on today.”


No comments: