Thursday, January 15, 2015

Why can’t a lady walk up to a guy and profess her love? (1)


Our Contributor of the week, Miss. Adetola Ademosun

Rolling back and forth on my bed, I couldn’t forget the discussion I had with my colleague earlier.
It was a saddening discussion and it left me depressed.
I wondered why people prefer to suffer in silence, when they could have done something to help their situations.

I asked myself so many questions; such as, what could have made this lady and the guy to so cheaply loose their happiness.
Why did she kept mute and watched fate takes its toll on her?
Well, maybe I was just thinking of the lady alone. The thought of the man’s state of mind also flashed through my mind. I was however more concerned about the lady.
It was just a phone call that shattered the beautiful day for Rachel. A day that started with laughter, ended in wretched sobs.
This is the scenario: Rachael’s phone rang beside me. She looked at the screen and said: “Who is the owner of this international number calling me?”
She picked the call. The next thing I heard few minutes after she said hello, was her silent weeping.
She mewled in pains. I was surprised.
I looked at Rachael and all I saw were tears rolling down her pretty cheeks.
She held on tightly to the phone as if her life depended on it. I could still hear the voice of her caller on the other end.
I tried to imagine what could have happened, but failed.
I glanced from her face, to the phone she held closely to her chest. What could have happened? Why the sudden change in Rachael’s mood?
Well, since I’m not clairvoyant, I couldn’t figure out what happened. She wiped her face and didn’t contribute to the discussions in the office anymore.
She refused to chat with anyone. She refused to be egged into any discussion.
I caught her intermittently forgetting herself and staring into space.
She followed me to lunch on the way to our bunks, but it was like she was not there. Her mind was elsewhere, but her body sat opposite me.
She picked at her food.
She mixed her rice and stew like a bricklayer mixing granite and cement. I could see her holding back tears. Finally she said: “Tee, I want to go to the bunk and relax.”
Oh, I forgot to tell you that we went on a survey somewhere in Ogun State.
I and Rachael shared a room. The other male colleagues, who accompanied us to the assignment, started asking me series of questions. Just because we shared a room didn’t mean I should know everything about Rachel. But I wanted her to open up to me.
Looking confused myself, I couldn’t give our colleagues a response.
One of them said: “Maybe she missed her period.”
 Twichhhhhhhh, I hissed and went to meet Rachael in the room.
She pressed her head into her pillow and wept like her heart was breaking. I was alarmed. The pillow case was wet when I touched it. I summoned courage.
I asked: “Rachael, kilode?” 
She raised her head from the pillow and when I turned to look at her face, they were red and puffy from crying.
Rachael is married. In fact, she got married two just months ago. I’ve always seen her as a very conservative lady but not the spirikoko type.
Hope you know what I mean by the spirikoko type?
Well... religious babes!
I think her way of life is based more on moral than religion.
She cried more.
Then she narrated the story that changes the course of her life.
 I was depressed after listening to her.
This is her story;
Rachael met a young man named Deji in the office. Deji is a Researcher from U.S.A who came to Nigeria on the bill of an international organisation to carry out a research in Nigeria. The chosen place of research for Deji was Rachael’s office. Both were to work together for the period of time Deji would conclude his research in Nigeria.
According to Rachael, she was attracted to Deji at first sight and yearned for him to woo her. She was one of those ladies who was brought up to believe that a guy must be the one to approach and woo a babe.
All through the time they worked together, the relationship was strictly official. Her mode of dressing became different when Deji came on board at her office. But even as she continued to dress and act to attract and impress Deji, the young researcher never looked at her twice. Or so she thought…
To be continued.
Contributor of the week, Miss. Adetola Ademosun ebere20@gmail.com

No comments: