Thursday, December 3, 2015

CSP’s son held for stealing manhole cover



A dismissed policeman has been arrested for stealing a manhole cover at the Eko Bridge area of Lagos Island.

The policeman, Earnest Young 30, was arrested by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) for stealing. RRS men said that the suspect’s father is a retired Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP).
RRS Commander, an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Tunde Disu, said the suspects and his accomplice, Rasheed Tiamiyu were both arrested 1, December 2015, at about 10pm on the Eko Bridge when vandalising the manhole.
Young said: “My friend and I trekked from Ijora under Bridge to Eko Bridge with the purpose of stealing the manhole cover. We were in search of food when we saw the manhole cover on the bridge. We decided to remove and sell it to cart pushers. My friend invited me to take part in the crime.”
 But Tiamiyu, swiftly denied the allegation, stressing that it was Young who invited him to the crime.
Tiamiyu further said: “Despite the fact that the manhole cover was very heavy, Young insisted we steal it so as to resell it to scrap metal buyers the following day. He said we should be able to get money to eat after selling it.  I insisted we leave the manhole cover but Young insisted that we should steal it. I obliged him.”
Tiamiyu said: “I came to Lagos from Plateau State in search of work. But since I came to Lagos, I have been homeless, struggling to survive.”
Disu noted that the action of the suspects posed a great danger to road users, because an open manhole on the bridge could cause accident, especially at night.

No comments: